Note: Only Administrators are able to make changes to the Extension Groups functionality.
This below video takes you through the steps of creating extension groups so you can group your extensions based on departments and the different roles and rights each user can have. Topics include:
- What are Extension Groups?
- Group Right Presets
- Group Rights explained
- Overriding Group Right Presets
- Delegate Management Console Access
Extension groups are used to determine what information is shown to whom. An extension has to be a member of at least one group.
Note: If you're looking for Ring Groups, please view this article.
Extensions are initially assigned to the “Default” group with these privileges:
- Managers can see the call details of ALL extensions and queues.
- Managers can perform operations on ANY call, i.e. Pickup, Transfer, Divert, Reject, Barge-in, and Park.
- Users have no rights to view calls of other users.
To create an extension group from the management console:
- Click on the “Groups” function and then the “Add” button.
- Specify a name for the group.
- In the members section, click on the “Add” button to add members to the group.
- In the “Group Rights” tab set the rights for group managers and users in the respective sections.
- Click “OK” to create the group.
Select one or more managers for a group, e.g. a department supervisor, from the “Extensions” function:
- Edit the extension to set as Manager and click on the “Rights” tab.
- Select the group to configure in “Group Membership” and set the “Role” to Manager.
- Click “OK” to apply the role to the extension.
You can configure one or more members of a group with the Manager role, able to view the call details of the group members.
Managing Rights Per Extension
The “Rights” tab allows you to configure an extension’s rights for each of the groups in the “Group Membership” dropdown the extension is a member of. To configure the rights of the extension:
- Select the group for which to configure the extension’s rights.
- Set the role (User/Manager) for the extension within that group.
- Set the extension’s rights for that group by enabling:
- Can see group members – allows the user to see all group members presence.
- Can see group calls – allows the user to see calls made by group members.
- Show presence to group members – shows the user’s presence to group members.
- Show calls to group members – shows user’s calls to group members.
- Perform operations (divert, transfer, take) on any active call to group members.
- Can Barge in, listen or whisper – can barge into calls made by group members.
- Can Intercom – allows the user to intercom with other extensions.
- Can park calls – allows the user to park calls for other users to pick up.
- Can control IVR – allows user to control the IVR.
- Can manage the company phonebook – allows the user to add/ edit/ delete Company contact entries via the 3CX apps.
- Perform receptionist operations - enables the user to set status, reminders (wake-up call) and queue log in/out.
- Can see group recordings - can download and listen to group recordings.
- Click “OK” to apply the rights and restart the 3CX app for the changes to take effect.